Sunday, May 23, 2010

ChatVille - Red flags anyone?

I thought a recent email I received about a new Facebook game was absolutely ridiculous yet representative of the present post-modern culture.

We're excited to announce the launch of ChatVille, a brand new Facebook game for discovering cool new people! ChatVille lets you video chat with random Facebook users in a safe environment while earning compliments, unlocking badges, and leveling up in a race to become ChatVille Champion!

You can even video chat with all your Facebook friends for the first time ever right from the Facebook website. Take screenshots of your adventures, make classy filmstrips, and meet fun new people in this addicting and engaging Facebook game.

(Emphasis added and subtracted)

So now, people around the world are connected in one place via Facebook video chat! While that can reap some benefits, I think the negative possibilities are alarming! What do you think?

2 comments:

Rachel C said...

I don't know...it sounds kinda scary! :P

Unknown said...

I would agree!

It is a trap and the ones who fall into it will be caught within its formidable hold. Why?

Because the grand price for the first person to complete the game is an Apple Ipad.

The makers of the game are betting that people will be driven by the desire to get the prize while losing their lives in the process all towards their financial gain.

I somehow doubt they will be disappointed. :(

Within the next year, I think ChatVille and its imitators will become the next YouTube. (In my humble opinion)